A gutter guard plays an important role in maintaining the integrity of your roof. Without it, your roof could get easily damaged causing you more money to fix or replace the entire roofing system. But when you invest in this tool to guard gutter at home, you should also spend enough effort to maintain and clean it. That is right – gutter guards need maintenance of their own too.
Why is Gutter Guard Maintenance Important?
Since the guard acts to prevent any debris from getting into the gutter itself, they can act as filter for the debris and other foreign objects. Once the debris and other foreign objects get too clogged up, it can prevent the gutter guard to do its job.
Therefore, you need to periodically check the gutter guard to make sure that you remove any debris before it gets clogged up. Moreover, undiverted water can also cause damage to your roof and soffit. It makes it all the more important to maintain the integrity of your gutter guard so it can do its job. With continued water exposure, the base of your home could be in serious threat. It is therefore a wiser decision to do preventive measures rather than treat it once damage is already present.
Tips for Cleaning the Gutter Guard
Here are simple measures you can adapt when cleaning your gutter guard at home:
• Use a garden hose and attach a trigger spray nozzle to it. You can use it to clean your gutter guard effectively and you can even adjust the water pressure depending on how tight you pull the trigger on the spray nozzle. This is a handy tool to help you clear out any debris or molds that might have formed on the gutter guard.
• Another tool you can use is a gutter scoop. This is a plastic scooping tool, which conveniently scoops out any debris that have collected on your roof and along the gutter. This is a great tool to use if you want to remove any large sized objects such as leaves from your roof.
• Always wear rubber gloves and eye protection. You might be required to handle bird droppings and rotting leaves on top of your roof. Hence, you need to be able to handle them with ease.
• You need to unclog the downsprouts. This is crucial to ensure that the water flows through the sprouts with ease. This will also prevent water damage to your gutters. You can simply do this by tapping the sides of the downsprouts to allow the clogged items to be drained off of the tube. If this does not work, you might have to physically remove the downsprouts.
• You need to clean your gutter guard at least twice a year. This will enable it to do its job effectively.
With this new knowledge on how to clean and maintain your gutter guard in Australia, you should start to look for one to invest in. You can easily find cheap gutter guard in the market, especially online. However, you need to buy from specialty stores to guarantee quality and performance. Otherwise, when a faulty product is installed to guard your gutter, it’s like having no protection at all because your roof could still be vulnerable to damage. Check out http://www.gutter-mesh.com.au/